About Us >> History
Methodism started in the Ringgold area about 1816 when two traveling
missionary brothers named Hancock passed through what is now
Ringgold Township and preached at the house of David Milliron.
Ringgold was formerly called Perrysville. Preaching continued in
homes and other places and in 1842 John Wise donated ground for the
site of a Church. About 1853 a joint Church of the Methodists and
Evangelical Association was erected and a minister was appointed by
the Methodist Conference. The first minister was Reverend George F.
Reeser who was pastor of the Punxsutawney Circuit at that time.
The Church has undergone several renovations. A building program was
initiated in 1965 with the purpose of erecting a new Church and
using the old building as an educational facility. Ground was broken
for the new building on September 19, 1965 and it was occupied for
services in 1966. The Church is part of a three-point Charge with
Barton Chapel and Langville. The 2003 Circuit consists of Ringgold,
Langville and North Freedom. The membership in 1968 was 145. The
membership on January 1, 2003 was 173.